History of the Riegersburg


The famous designated Field field Marshal Raimund, count of Montecuccoli the Styrian landmark far away in the Land projecting Riegersburg.


Numerous archaeological finds testify to a settlement of the castle hill already 6,000 years ago due to its special protective location.

Historisches Foto der Riegersburg aus dem Osten

The first documented mention of

...of Riegersburg dates back to 1138, where the name "Ruotkerspurch" appears, which can be derived from the owner at that time named Rüdiger von Hohenberg.

Historisches Foto der Riegersburg aus dem Süden
Middle ages

Lower Veste Lichtenegg

In the Middle Ages, there was a second fortress on the castle grounds. The so-called "Niedere Veste Lichtenegg". Today there is a viewing platform there.


Kuenring-Dürnstein family

When the last of the Riegersburg-Wildonians died childless in 1249, the main castle came to the powerful Kuenring-Dürnstein family.


Ulrich of Walsee-Graz

In 1299 Ulrich von Walsee-Graz bought the Riegersburg. Until 1363 it was owned by the Styrian Walsee family, who were then inherited by the Upper Austrian Walsee-Enns line. In the so-called "Walsee Feud", in 1412, Duke Ernst the Iron succeeded in conquering the "Niedere Veste" and the main castle "Kronegg" capitulated. But already five years later the Walseer got the castles back. Based on this experience, they probably built the "Eselsteig" as a side access.


Reinprecht of Reichenburg

After an uncertain period with plagues, famines and warlike invasions by Ottomans and Magyars, the fortress came into the possession of Reinprecht von Reichenburg in 1479.


Erasmus Baron of Stadl / Georg Christoph of Ursenpekh

From the Reichenburgs, the Riegersburg came by marriage in 1571 to Erasmus Freiherr von Stadl, who began to expand the upper castle. He sold the castle at the beginning of the Thirty Years' War in 1618 to Georg Christoph von Ursenpekh. This family is responsible for the inscription in the window pane of the knights' hall.


Baron Seyfried of Wechsler

During the thirty years ' war, of Styria, of the direct war remained actions spared, one felt the impact of the counter-reformation. In 1637, the rich man was under their control Freiherr Seyfried from Changer owner of the Riegersburg. Because of this childless died in the Riegersburg came to his sister, the order in 1607, born Baroness Elisabeth Katharina Changer.


"The Gallerin"

Freifrau Elisabeth Katharina Wechsler married Hans Wilhelm Freiherr von Galler. This marriage produced her only child - her daughter Regina. The resolute lady of the castle, subsequently referred to as "Galler", went down in the history of Styria as an extremely distinctive and energetic personality. She was popularly known as "Liesl the Bad" because she did not shy away from any confrontation and conducted numerous lawsuits. She did not leave the command and management of the Riegersburg dominion to her husband, as was proper, but lived out her "love of building" and essentially gave the extensive fortress its present form. After the death of her first husband, she married Colonel Freiherr von Kapell, who fell victim to the war four years after their marriage. She divorced her third husband, Baron Hans Rudolf von Stadl, who was about 35 years younger!


Johann Ernst Graf of Purgstall

After the death of the Gallerin, in 1672 the ownership of Riegersburg castle and manor passed to her daughter Regina and her son-in-law Johann Ernst Count of Purgstall. The latter completed the construction work begun by the Gallerin.


Prince Johann of Liechtenstein

After the extinction of the Riegersburg Counts of Purgstall in 1817, Riegersburg Castle passed to a community of 17 heirs. In 1822 it was bought by Prince Johann von und zu Liechtenstein in a public auction. The Riegersburg remained in the possession of the princely Liechtenstein family, which saved it from imminent ruin after the destruction of 1945.


Family Of Liechtenstein

In January 1972 Prince Friedrich and Princess Annemarie moved into Riegersburg as the first owners and began with the tourist management.


Dr. Prince Emanuel of Liechtenstein

Since 2009, Dr. Prince Emanuel von und zu Liechtenstein and his family have been working to preserve the castle.